Companion for Cornish Rex

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Jimmydetts
New Cat Chatter

Companion for Cornish Rex

Post by Jimmydetts »

Hi. We've just got a lovely Cornish Rex boy who's 4 years old. We'd like to get him a companion. I'm interested in other breeds too and the option is either another Cornish Rex or a Havana Brown. Whatever the decision the new boy would be a kitten. Does anyone have any advice on this? Many thanks.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Companion for Cornish Rex

Post by Lilith »

Hi Jimmy and welcome :)

Congrats on your new boy - love Cornish Rex. I believe breeders have used Siamese genes to get a more Oriental 'type' and therefore they're quite an extrovert cat with a strong character; a companion would need to be an equally strong character, or else placid and not a pushover, but apart from that I imagine most breeds would be fine - or even a rescue moggie.

I used to breed Siamese and had a mixed bag of Siamese, crossbreeds and moggies; naturally in a large household there were politics, but apart from one bossy three quarter Siamese girl we didn't do too badly. I find that boys are more placid and laid back when it comes to living with a friend, but of course it does depend ultimately on the cat - they're all different.

Hope this helps, and good luck :)
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

does it have to be a pedigree, what about a regular equally gorgeous moggy kitten from a rescue?

Or if you contact the breed rescues see if they have something suitable?
Jimmydetts
New Cat Chatter

Post by Jimmydetts »

Thanks to you both for your replies. I've emailed Lil separately too. We had moggies before and lived them. They were rescue. All my research has pointed me to these breeds as being best for indoors although we are looking at solutions to allow them into the garden.