What to do?

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
Sammysam
New Cat Chatter

What to do?

Post by Sammysam »

Hello and thanks for reading.
I took my 15 year old cat to the vet for a checkup as he was a bit thin. Eating, drinking, happy, running about and otherwise seemed fine. After removing 15 teeth and doing a blood test he didn't return to his usual self and was diagnosed with liver cancer, we had no option but to put him to sleep, all within FIVE days. I just thought he'd be fine. I feel I didn't get to say goodbye properly as he was at the vets and I feel so guilty for allowing the vet to remove his teeth, surely that can't have helped? My poor Fred. Part of this issue is all my cats are old and Molly is nearly 20, she is totally fine, eating, grooming and enjoying life, she no way looks her age, new people think she is a kitten as she has long fur and is very pretty. She has started just wailing crying for no reason. I go to see her and she just looks at me, she does not seem hurt or in pain. She wasn't altogether friendly with Fred but I did wonder if she is just out of sorts. I feel I would like her checked out but the experience with Fred 10 days ago is making me very nervous. Can anyone give me some advice please? Thank you xx
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: What to do?

Post by alanc »

Sam
Very sorry to hear about your loss of Fred and the manner of his going. I know only to well what it is like to lose a cat that appears to be happy and healthy. I lost my Badger to cancer last year (he was only 5). I took him into the vets on the Tuesday because he seemed a bit lethargic. The vet was uncertain what, if anything was wrong but decided almost at the last minute to keep him in for a scan. This revealed a large tumor on his spleen and two days later he was dead. Unfortunately cats are all too good at masking such things from us and vets until it is too late (Badger had been in for his annual examination only 6 weeks earlier).
However much you may dread the same thing happening to Molly, you really must take her into the vets to be checked over. If she is seriously ill, putting it off will only make her suffer more, which will be far worse for her and you. It would be even worse if what she is ailing from is treatable.
My other cat Tilly was taken seriously ill at New Year and in spite of my fears after my experience with Badger I took her into the vet straight away, with the happy result she is fully recovered and running around making life unpleasant for mice. Had I delayed she could well have died.
Sorry about the rather disjointed post, I still find it very hard to discuss the circumstances of Badger's death (and Tilly has been demanding I play with her).
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: What to do?

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Sam sorry to hear your news. You'll get heaps of support & Molly needs comforting as you do. As I said to Issie have heaps of spare hugs for other fur babes. Thinking of you. Vivian