Any advice as to when I should have her pts?

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
Kris35
VIP Cat Chatter!

Any advice as to when I should have her pts?

Post by Kris35 »

My girl was 18 in January. She has had anal leakage and chronic explosive diarrhea for two year - two loads of washing a day. But in herself she has been fine. Its been up and down over the last several months and Im now starting to think about her quality of life. I wanted to ask all of you - can you give advice as to the right time. I know people say that I will know when the time is right but can I ask - have any of you ever left it too late and wish you had had your darlings pts earlier? I read stories (and have seen) about cats going downhill overnight where they cant breathe etc and then its a rush to the vets for the euthanasia. But on the other hand will i be ending her life when she could get a bit better? She has been listless for the last two days - plus I worry about her breathing - its nasally but has been like that for several months and vets do not know what it is - my cat isnt having an anaesthetic at her age. Thanks for any advice - what you would have done differently etc.

Kris
issiandarchie+68
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Any advice as to when I should have her pts?

Post by issiandarchie+68 »

Oh Kris, what an awful dilemma. I'm sorry I don't have the 'answer' to your heart-breaking problem, but can only tell you about 8yr old Cody and pray it helps. As you are aware, she became very ill from renal disease very rapidly, even after re-hydration, which raised our hopes but only worked for 2 days, we helplessly watched her decline. We knew it was time when I was up with her most of the night and she remained in the same 'meatloaf' position, with her head hung low over her water bowl, and although she tried to touch noses with me when I stroked her beautiful head, she failed and I noticed her gorgeous, huge, usually clear eyes had become filmed over. I woke my hubby at 5.30.am. and we both realised that it had been yet another sleepless, very difficult, long night for her. She had been the most sweet natured, loving cat to man and beast alike and we couldn't bear to see her suffer, we knew the time had come. We both felt a sense of relief and calm that her ordeal would soon be over. I have since talked it through with our Vet and he confirmed our feelings that we had taken the right course of action, explaining the awful painful consequences for Cody had we left it too late. He hadn't told us to have her PTS, it was our decision, indeed he offered further, immediate rehydration, said we could take her home,but in answer to our many questions, assured us we would be back within the week, having put poor wee Cody through the same, painful cycle, she was a very sick cat. I know of your love for your wee girl and your wish to keep her near you, but I think, having asked the question, deep in your heart you know the answer, but please consult your Vet asap, you will have 100 questions.
Last edited by issiandarchie+68 on Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi Kris,

Yes it is the hardest decision to make. Tommy was chugging along for months with CKD, up one day down the next. But two days after Christmas we saw a big decline and, as it was a Sunday, decided to take him to the vets on the Monday. He had gone suddenly very listless and 'sad-looking'. Bless the dear boy, he took the decision out of our hands. He asked to go out and I let him. After half an hour I went to look for him and found him dead in the road. I think he had decided to go off and die. It was an awful way (for us) to go - but quick for him.

Twice now we have had to make that decision for our dogs. Bonnie was 17 1/2 and reasonably fit but her mind had gone and she took to wandering about like she didn't know where she was. We had the vet come to us for that. She died in her favourite armchair. Rosie (13) stumbled out of OH's van one day and just lay there looking at him. Her eyes said 'Dad I've had enough'.

You will look at her and your heart will tell you 'it's time'. Thinking of you, (hugs) to you and fusses to your girl.

Sue x
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

I had my Trigger pts although he was still eating well, and pooing and peeing normally - but he had a rapidly growing tumour in his pelvis, and was spending 23 hours out of 24 lying in his bed - but what really decided me to make that final call to the vet was some close up photos I took of him unawares - there was a look of stoical suffering in his eyes which I didn't see when he was interacting with me, and which convinced me he was in real pain, and once you realize that the decision really is easy

he died at home still in his bed, and if your vet will come to you I think it does help both humans and animals to cope with what is always a very sad situation
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I feel for you, it really is the hardest decision, and horrible. The most important thing is that your cat doesn't suffer, and only you can really know if she's getting any pleasure from life still.

The one silver lining to a very black cloud is that, when you get to this stage, you no longer have to worry about long-term consequences. It might be worth a chat with your vet to see if they might be able to prescribe anything to make her more comfortable in her remaining time. My old Minnie had IBS and spent her last year on steroids to try and reduce the inflammation in her gut, which definitely did help and she actually nearly made it to 20.

Cats are very good at hiding the fact that they are in pain, but when you know a cat you do pick up the signs when things are not right. If it helps, whenever I've been in your situation there has always been a point when I was no longer wondering if the time was right, the down days outnumbered the good days and I just looked at their eyes and knew they'd had enough. (((hugs)))
Kris35
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kris35 »

Hello everyone and thanks for your replies. It has helped me actually - now is not the time! Issie, its awful isn't it. My girl hasn't got to that stage and Im in doubt as to whether I should do it any time soon - so that helped me. (love you Cody).

Sue, my God that must have been awful for you. Its so distressing isnt it - know I sound like a broken record here. My cat is a bit listless but she is still playing and is fine if she has my full attention - but I see her cramped up sometimes, and nothing can be done to help her. She has had all meds and nothing works. She is a very unusual case. (Love you Tommy).

Kay, my girl is also eating and peeing and pooing "normally" (she has chronic diarrhea) but I worry she has a tumour but don't want her to have an x-ray cos she will need an anaesthetic for that I think. This is playing at the back of my mind. (Love you Trigger).

Crewella, yeah I've tried her on steroids and anti-biotics but they don't help her IBS - but maybe I can talk to my vet about Oody's stomach cramps. The thing is - I know she isn't right but she is still liking life. And I don't know why she is a bit listless. Might be the cramps, might be arthritis (Tried her on YouMove but her stomach cannot handle anything) - might be a tumour. I just don't know. (Love you Minnie).

Sigh! So basically I am going to watch her and talk to my vet on Monday. I have accepted she has treatment resistand diarrhea, but I don't know if there is something else going on. All her bloods came back fine last month. She has good bloods for an old girl! I think old age is just kicking in, but I know from all your replies that now isn't the time. Not just yet. Thankyou all.