Why didn't I do more?

Help & Support for those who have lost a beloved cat
Rugbyfan1979
New Cat Chatter

Why didn't I do more?

Post by Rugbyfan1979 »

I'm in pieces today as our little cat, Mojo, was put to sleep yesterday after a very sudden illness. She was off her regular food for a day or two but eating chicken from my hand so I'd planned to take her to her regular vet today. We just put it down to the stress of moving 3 weeks ago as she was always a sensitive little cat.

Yesterday morning we found her behind the sofa unable to stand. We took her immediately to the emergency vet who scanned her liver and told us she was very very poorly. She left us to discus what to do but then called us into a room with Mojo. It was obvious she was very sick and the vet said it would be kinder to let her go. We cried our eyes out as we said goodbye but she knew we were with her and how loved she was.

I'm tearing myself apart now that I didn take her to her vet when I first noticed she wasn't eating as much about 10 days ago but she was always a fussy girl and was still eating so we just thought she was a bit out of sorts. I can't stop thinking that if I'd taken her then she would have been ok. We still have her Mum at home and she seems to be doing ok but I just can't stop crying and wondering "what if". I barely slept last night and had to leave work early as I couldn't stop crying, even though I had an important meeting I should have been at.

I know the pain will ease but I don't think I'll ever forgive myself for not trusting my instincts and taking her to the vet as soon as I noticed she wasn't eating as much. She was only 7 and it's too soon for her to be gone.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Why didn't I do more?

Post by bobbys girl »

I'm so very sorry to hear about Mojo. Many of us here know just what you are going through and it is horrible.

We all know that 'what if' feeling - and it doesn't help. It sounds like it happened very fast and it's likely that nothing could be done for her. Easier said than done, I know, but please don't beat yourself up about it.

We are here if you want to talk. RIP Mojo. (Hugs) to you.
Rugbyfan1979
New Cat Chatter

Post by Rugbyfan1979 »

Thank you Bobbiesgirl. My partner and I had a long talk about Mojo tonight and that's helped me feel more at peace. She was a rescue cat and had a lovely 6 years with us. She never wanted for love and attention and I know in time I'll be able to remember all the good memories. She looked a lot like the cat in your avatar actually and was our "baby bear".

Bye bye Baby Bear. We'll take good care of your mummy and one day we'll all be together for cuddles and head boops again.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Rugbyfan be prepared for the ups & downs. You'll receive heaps of support here. Go with your grief it shows how much you loved your little bear Mojo. Condolences. (((Hugs))) Vivian
OHWS
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by OHWS »

Last edited by OHWS on Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rugbyfan1979
New Cat Chatter

Post by Rugbyfan1979 »

That's the view I've come to as well OHWS. Mojo loathed the vet and would have hated to spend her last days in a small cage being poked and prodded. This way she was with us right up until the end and was even running around the garden three days before so at least we know her final days were at home with us.
Mayday21 wrote:Hi Rugbyfan be prepared for the ups & downs. You'll receive heaps of support here. Go with your grief it shows how much you loved your little bear Mojo. Condolences. (((Hugs))) Vivian
Ups and downs is right. I was mostly OK yesterday at work and then in the evening found myself quietly weeping on the sofa. I'm still waking up in the night and having that horrible sensation where everything seems OK but then you remember that it's really not and it's all so raw again.

I know how much comfort I got from this board when our first cat, Cwtch, was PTS 6 years ago so I headed straight back here as soon as I could face it. Although my friends and colleagues have been understanding I can tell they are a bit perplexed by how upset I am but I knew everyone here would understand.

I miss my Mojo terribly but I know in time I'll remember the good times before anything else. Thank you all for your support and understanding.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm so very sorry to hear about poor Mojo, it's so hard to lose one like this but I completely agree with the other posters. Please don't be too hard on yourself, cats are notorious for hiding the fact that they are unwell and most of us here have been where you are now, wondering what we could have done differently. She was a lucky cat to have found a loving owner who cared so much about her, and you DID take her to the vet and help her when it mattered - I hope you can take some comfort from that. (((hugs)))

Rest in peace little Mojo.