The amazing world of a foster parent

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
GitaBooks
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 7

The amazing world of a foster parent

Post by GitaBooks »

I've adored animals ever since I was a young kid, fascinated by their behavior, appearance, and care. I think anyone who likes animals has to like the cat, they are so graceful and unique, and yet so common at the same time. Over the years we have helped a number of cats (mother's with kittens, strays, injured cats, ect), though we've only owned a couple that lived indoors because of allergies in the family. We currently own 6 of our own cats, one of which is a stray tom that comes by for food and shelter. But that just wasn't enough for me. We may not have had the money, space or time to own more cats, but fostering was something I always wanted to do. I began volunteering at the Union County Humane Society in Ohio and the day I turned in my foster paper-work was the same day that 5 little orphaned kittens were brought it. Without the time and space to take them, the shelter would have had to turn them down, but there was no way I was letting those little guys just leave, so I offered to take them that very day.
That is how I ended up with my first foster litter: Kai, Bee, Trouble, Cash and Ollie (Oliver). And right now they are making it very difficult for me to type because they keep trying to rewrite on my key-board. However, they make my day, they give me something to do, they are so full of life and playfulness and sweet little cuddles and kisses. They have such soft fur, such cute little paws, and such sharp claws!!

Right now I am fostering these five as well as a mother cat, Lyla, and her three 1 week-old kitties (Nocturne, Twilight and Ozzie) as well as an 8-week-old kitten named Fred who doesn't way enough to be neutered yet and so is enjoying time running around in a house-hold environment with one-on-one socialization (my brother is doing most of the work with him).

All and all I just have to say, fostering is an incredible experience. There may be ups and downs, but every cat you take in is opening up one more crate for the shelter to save another. Every cat that is brought into a household is being taught what it's forever home will be like, with chances to play, curl up on a blanket, climb onto a bed, snuggle with a familiar person, be spoken to and held and adored. In just a couple weeks my five will be ready for fixing and adoption. It will be hard to see them go, and I'll always wonder what their new home is like, but every time one of my foster cats is adopted out is an accomplishment, giving a person a loving, gentle, tame, playful, happy friend and companion. And every time they get adopted, I can take in another cat that needs help from a person with the time, room, and love to offer to a cat.

Consider fostering, you can choose the age, color, and personality of the cat you want. There will always be plenty available at shelters that need fostered because there isn't enough room at the rescue, the kittens are too young to be fixed or are still on the bottle, a mother is pregnant or nursing young, an animal has fear or aggression issues that need worked on, or the cat has a chronic or long-term illness or injury that needs nursed to healing before adoption can be an option. Whatever the reason, every cat deserves a chance to vacation at a loving home before finding their forever one.

I'll try to post pictures soon. Feel free to share your stories and care-tips on foster kittens. : )
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: The amazing world of a foster parent

Post by bobbys girl »

I think what you are doing is lovely. I couldn't do it, I'd end up keeping the lot! All my cats are 'blowins' just like us. :D We can always find room for 'just one more'. We don't go looking for them, they just turn up.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Good on you!

I started fostering a couple of years ago and I've never regretted it. I have a spare room and an outdoor pen, and because of the outdoor pen (and because I have a lot of experience with older cats) I tend to get the elderly strays and stinky tomcats that get handed in. I've been a failed fosterer on several occasions and ended up keeping a few old boys, a couple for what turned out to be the last few months of their lives, but have also seen several go on to lovely homes from whom I still get updates and pics. It's wonderful to know you've had a hand in helping them and it was a real priviledge to know that I was able to provide some love and comfort when they needed it. It can be tough sometimes, but it's so worth it! :)

I wish you luck and happiness! :)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Good on you for fostering, I've been doing it for 12 years now and find it very rewarding, if hard work at times. I think it works slightly different in the UK, we can't pick age, colour or personality of the cats, although we tend to have fosterers who do certain 'types' of cats, I.e. mum and kittens as we have a lot of of rescues who just use foster homes so most of ours come from the streets. My favourites are the timid adults but sadly we are short on volunteers so I keep having mum and kittens. I find having antisocial cats helps with not keeping them
GitaBooks
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by GitaBooks »

Some pictures of the
Nocturne, Twilight and Oz. These are the three premature babies born to Lyla
Nocturne, Twilight and Oz. These are the three premature babies born to Lyla
IMG_7094.jpg (48.13 KiB) Viewed 5800 times
GitaBooks
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by GitaBooks »

The foster kittens are doing very well: we currently have the five (Ollie, Cash, Bee, Kai, and Trouble), a longhaired kitten around their age (Tesla) and Lyla with her trio. Two orphans around 1-2 weeks of age will be coming to our house for a few days this week as their foster mother is out-of-town. Their names are Banjo and Spoons. A trio of 4 week old little girls (Hermoine, Genny and Beatrix) will be joining us when Cash, Ollie and Kai get neutered and put up for adoption.

Giving up a foster kitten to get adopted is very difficult, but to know they will be going to a home where they can spread the love you gave to them, to be tame and healthy because of the work you put into them, it is a wonderful feeling. And they always leave their love with you too. Bee is staying with Tesla not only because Tess needs a friend and both are a little too small to be spayed, but also because I don't think I could give them all up at the same time. They wouldn't all fit comfortably in the enclosures for adoption anyways, and they would have to be split up, so keeping them in two groups will make it easier on them and the humane society.
Attachments
Cash, the Classic tabby and white boy. He is a bit of a baby at times, but very sweet and playful.
Cash, the Classic tabby and white boy. He is a bit of a baby at times, but very sweet and playful.
P1250086.jpg (43.25 KiB) Viewed 5754 times
My five and Tesla eating together. They eat a LOT
My five and Tesla eating together. They eat a LOT
IMG_8326.jpg (67.64 KiB) Viewed 5754 times
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Awwwwww .... who can resist kittens! :D
GitaBooks
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by GitaBooks »

Tomorrow is the day I have to say good-bye to the kittens I have had for the last seven weeks: Ollie, Kai and Cash. I know they will be given wonderful care and go to amazing homes, but it's going to be hard. It's hard enough just to go into the room and play with them right now. They'll be so confused and lonely and scared as they settle in to their new environment.
I know in the end it is worth it, and they will be so happy, but its harder with cats that have known nothing but you then with cats that are use to other people and various environments. I've tried to prepare them with training them to a carrier, introducing them to new rooms, new people and new cats, and that is all we can do, prepare them. Socialization is not only for the sake of the new owner but also for the sake of the cats comfort. It is practice for them out in their new world.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Cash is a real sweetie, what lovely markings. Are his ears really as big as they seem?!

Hope all goes well for you tomorrow. You are doing a great job. x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Ugh ..... I HATE handing them over. It almost feels like a betrayal as you bundle them into a carrier and hand them over to a (relative) stranger - I have the image of several reproachful little faces peering out at me as they head off down the driveway etched permanently in my memory. BUT I also have pics of the same cats several weeks later looking relaxed and happy, and living the life of Riley in their new home, so I know it's worth it!

And also, if you don't give them up then you can't help any more cats.

Still tough though, good luck! :)
GitaBooks
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by GitaBooks »

Thanks guys. Its nice to know people understand. : )

Yes, Cash does have big ears, but his sister, Bee, has even bigger ones! They are the two cuddliest ones of the litter.
GitaBooks
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by GitaBooks »

Cash, Kai and Ollie will be joined by their siblings, Trouble, Bee and adoptive sister, Tesla, tomorrow. The new trio will be going in to be fixed and then put up for adoption to find their forever homes.

Not only this, but Lyla's kittens hit the miracle-mark of four weeks of age (when they begin eating and using the bathroom on their own) and are only a few ounces behind in weight (around 13 oz each). They are getting very playful and cuddly and enjoying some supplements from a bottle for extra nutrition. : )

Tomorrow I may be picking up three younger foster kittens for a week or so to help out another foster parent going on vacation. These gals are weaned and growing fast! Their names are Hermoine, Beatrix and Genny and when they came in they were COVERED in fleas. When the medication kicked in the fleas were dying and crawling off onto the towel. The towels was peppered with black dots. I'm so glad they got that care before they were too weak. They are doing so much better.

In just four weeks Lyla will be ready to be up for adoption and hopefully her kittens will be ready in a couple weeks after that. They are such a beautiful color, I'll have to post more pictures of them. Each one has a little button of white on their belly and a locket of white on their chests, just like their mommy. : )
GitaBooks
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by GitaBooks »

My babies, Trouble, Ollie, Kai, Bee, Cash and Tesla, have been put up for adoption at Petsmart and all of them except Trouble have found their new homes (he might have over the weekend, updates are given on Thursday and Fridays). Fred has been adopted as well!
However, we still have seven we are working with! Lyla and her trio of now 7 week old kitties (all girls it turns out): Nocturne, Ozzie and Twilight. We also have a trio of girls without a mother: Bellatrix (Bella), Narcissa (Sissy or Nar), and Genny (Gen for short). The second trio will be going back on Wednesday, we aren't sure when Lyla's kittens will weigh enough to be spayed and put up for adoption, as they were premature and are a little behind in weight and size.

Here are some pictures of the kitties at our house:
Attachments
IMG_0262.jpg
Narcissa in the laundry basket, her favorite bed
(172.38 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_0184.jpg
Ozzie, Nocturne and Twilight playing with the scale
(184.48 KiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_0151.jpg
Ozzie in the scale, saying hello to Lyla, her mother
(174.3 KiB) Not downloaded yet
GitaBooks
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by GitaBooks »

Nocturne, Twilight and Oziana have all turned out to be females. They are about 10 weeks old but only Oziana has reached the 2 lb mark, so they are still with us. The whole family has fallen for Nocturne so she is practically adopted (we just have to make it official). Lyla is doing well, has gained weight, and is more active them before (though suffering from a cold right now). She and Oziana are going to be spayed soon and then Twilight and Nocturne can join them in a week or so.

All of my original 5 and Fred have been adopted, while Tesla found her home but was returned due to family allergies (they loved her a lot and tried to work around it, but simply couldn't, so I understand).

Bellatrix, Narcissa (Sissy) and Ginny have all been spayed and the first two are off to Petsmart to find their forever homes. Ginny seems to have a strange condition where she has little red spots all over her body, so she is in isolation and being watched. Hopefully it will pass and she can be adopted soon.
GitaBooks
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by GitaBooks »

I have officially adopted Nocturne! Seems she's a special-needs girl because of Hydrocephalus, or water on the brain. She was always unique, but to learn that she may have real health issues means its best just to let her be in a familiar place where she can be loved. Not to mention I wanted to adopt her before I learned that too. :D

Ginny is up for adoption now, as well as Tesla, and by Wednesday or Thursday Oziana and Twilight should be as well. Lyla is on medical hold at the shelter because of her diarrhea and vomiting, but hopefully the vets can help her get past that so she can be spayed and gain some much-needed weight before finding her forever home!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

There's always one!! :D

I've been a 'failed' fosterer on more than one occasion, and ended up with an extra permanent resident. She's a lucky girl! :)