Adopting a second cat for Gemo

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Adopting a second cat for Gemo

Post by emmab »

We have lost our cat 12 weeks ago. We have no idea where he has gone and have exhausted all options and hope and pray he comes home on his own accord but is looking increasingly unlikely. Gemo is not showing signs of missing him although they grew up together and he looked after Gemo when she was days old. She treated him like her mum (or dad) and even used to try and suckle him. Anyway we did say that when we are back from a couple of days holiday in Sept we would look at adopting another cat for company but atm she seems more affectionate and seems happy. I have read that introducing a new cat, even a kitten can make a cat unhappy. It is different of they grew up together but have read that cats are happiest on their own as a rule. We wanted a friend for Gemo and to adopt a cat from the SPA but not sure if it's a good idea. We would also like to adopt a dog but she is mot the best around dogs so that seems a bad idea.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Adopting a second cat for Gemo

Post by bobbys girl »

That's a difficult one. Only you know your cat well enough, but if she seems happy on her own perhaps it is best to leave it that way. I know our Willow would be OK on her own and probably Purdy too. But Grace would have no one to bully and Bob does miss the company of our other boy Thomas.

If you do decide to adopt, I would go for a boy cat the same sort of age as your other cat. If he does return (stranger things have happened) he should be OK with another boy.

As for a dog - our older cats grew up with dogs and Willow would not have survived without the TLC she got from Rosie dog. We um and ah about another dog all the time. But we have decided not to LOOK for a dog. If it is to be, we believe the dog will find us. That's the way our family was formed THEY found us - and it has worked so far. :D
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Ahh thank you. We had a Purdy and Thomas too a couple of years ago whom we adored deeply. We adopted them both as kittens together, how strange. Gemo is a girl so not sure whether we would go for a boy or a girl cat. They always so to go younger than the current cat don't they. Being a female she is a little more highly strung than a boy. It is hard to know sometimes when a cat is happy and also whether she misses the other cat or not. Cats can be quite difficult to judge.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

It can be quite hard to read cats, but my gang all get along pretty well, though I suspect both Nellie and Merrick would be happy alone. They do seek each other out in times of stress though. I would go for a younger male, in your position - I think in general females tend to find it easier to accept males, but do make sure that the incoming cat is known to be sociable with other cats.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

We have decided to adopt another rescue cat in 2 weeks time. It is bitter sweet as to me it is closure on our boy who has gone missing 10 weeks ago. We eagerly await his homecoming but choosing to adopt a rescue cat seems to be a bit final on our boy and we have not given up hope on him returning. This evening feels very raw indeed and is very upsetting but is important to us we help another unfortunate cat and give them a wonderful life. We know this will be good for Gemo his sister as whilst she is happy as she is, we want her to have company, especially when we go away on holiday or out for the day. I am also hoping this will bring our boy back as well. :cry:Many thanks for all your help on this difficult matter.
BigStew76
New Cat Chatter

Post by BigStew76 »

I joined this wonderful forum for this very same advice.

After my Baby Monkey went missing over 4 weeks ago her big brother Big Boy has been missing her and looks around the house for her every night.
I'm thinking of adopting a young cat for company for him. I'm not sure if this is to soon or if it's my grief or guilt that's clouding my judgment. I really really want her to come home as she's my pride and joy but can't help feel like I'm forgetting her if that makes sense?
I don't want Big Boy to be lonely. This is his second pal that has disappeared on him and I think that he needs Cat company.
Obviously when my wee baby girl comes home we would have a total of three cats to love which is easy for me as I'm totally cat daft!

I miss my wee girl so much it hurts. M just want her home with us.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

Taking in a cat in need of a good home, and freeing up a space in a rescue for another abandoned or lost one, can never, in my opinion, be anything other than a good thing, whatever the circumstances

Good luck, and I do so hope you will find yourself with three cats sometime soon
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

Following on from my last posting a while ago. We sadly lost our new adoption far too soon. He was very unwell and had been going downhill even before adoption but decided to give him a chance. We were thinking about getting another but notice that Gemo our other cat is being more friendly and cuddly atm since Grany has lef us. I think she feels happier on her own but can never guage the situation and moods of cats. It may be that she misses Grany, although I doubt this as we only had him 2 months and she was a little stand offish with him at first. I am not sure whether she is happier on her own? Yes, it is always great bringing home a new adoption, although this past two months has been incredibly difficult with a poorly cat. I wonder if Gemo is happier on her own. They do say cats are solitary animals? She is just more affectionate now.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Hi Emma, while I see cats as communal animals, they're all different, and some definitely prefer a one-to-one relationship with their human; though my youngest cat used to enjoy the company of the old tomcat, she hasn't formed strong bonds with my others and makes it quite clear she'd prefer to have me to herself.

Only you know your own cat and from the way you describe Gemo it could well be that she likes to be the only cat in the household; if she's happy this way and has enough human company, why not?

Again, very sorry you lost Grany; I'm glad you have Gemo to comfort you during this sad time.