3 Rescue Kittens. Advice greatly appreciated.

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Vixiegirl
New Cat Chatter

3 Rescue Kittens. Advice greatly appreciated.

Post by Vixiegirl »

So a stray cat had 3 kittens in our shed. She seemed happy enough so we fed mammy for a few weeks but didn't go near the kittens.

Mammy didn't come back for 2 days so we were able to get 2 of the kittens into the house (the 3rd we couldn't get as he had buried himself under the shed and was hissing and swiping.)

To cut a long story short, we had two of the kittens for 3 days until we finally coaxed the 3rd out.

The first 2 (Alvin and Simon) love being petted and would sit on our laps day in and day out if we left them. The 3rd (Theodore) loves being on our laps, not so fond of the petting though.

My main problem is Theodore. He loves being on my lap or lying on my neck but has his claws out constantly. My arms legs and neck are getting shredded.

Is there any way to teach kittens to keep their claws In or do I just leave him off until he becomes more comfortable with us? (I'm guessing he's just not as settled as the other two.)

I'm a complete novice as I have always had dogs so any advice for a first time cat owner I would really appreciate.

Thanks all
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: 3 Rescue Kittens. Advice greatly appreciated.

Post by Kay »

young kittens are not able to retract their claws, so it's normal to get a mauling from them at this age - it's a physical thing, not a behavioural one, and it does pass as they get older

lots of play is the best antidote at the moment, so that when they get on you they are too pooped to target you - and stay away from wearing wool, which attracts cats and their claws!!

but your little family sounds lovely, and it's great that you felt able to give a home to all three
Vixiegirl
New Cat Chatter

Post by Vixiegirl »

Thanks so much for your reply! I'm glad to know it's just regular kitten behaviour. I was just worried he wasn't settling. Thanks again
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

You've done a lovely thing in taking on these kittens, good on you. To add to Kay's excellent advice, their mother would set boundaries and curb any over-boisterous rough play by hissing, and there's no reason why you shouldn't do the same as they develop - if they get a bit rough when playing with you then hiss sharply and withdraw you hand and attention, and reward them with fuss when they play nicely. Hopefully, to some degree they will be able to learn some manners from each other, too.

Just a thought, but if you could manage to catch the mother and get her neutered you would be doing her a great service, and you can probably get a voucher for neutering from a local cat charity - often Cats Protection will help. Good luck. :)
Vixiegirl
New Cat Chatter

Post by Vixiegirl »

We have been leaving food out for mom hoping she comes back and have a cat carrier at the ready in case she does. Our local vet has offered to neuter her for free as this is her 3rd litter this year. Hopefully she will show up again.

Thanks so much for the hissing advice I'm going to give that a go!! He's very lovable so hopefully that will work.

Thanks for your help
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Oh that's great, I really hope you do manage to catch her! :D