FIV+ Boy in Essex needs a home.

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
Vanessa77
New Cat Chatter

FIV+ Boy in Essex needs a home.

Post by Vanessa77 »

Hi All,

Over the last few months I have gained the trust of a stray which has been visiting regularly. I am convinced this cat has no owners as he was underweight with a terrible coat and at one stage had a red plastic food lid around his neck, I assume from going through rubbish bins. With the help of about 20 Dreamies I coaxed him close enough to get the lid off him! I have posted pictures of him across various Facebook sites with no success in finding an owner.

Yesterday I finally managed to pick him up and get him in a carrier and to the vets (where I work). We did the FIV and FELV test and sadly he is FIV positive. Despite knowing he is not aggressive outside with my two cats I can't risk them being in close proximity indoors.

I still had him castrated, teeth checked, flea and worm treated. Currently he is living in my bedroom and although good throughout the night is climbing the walls this morning.

Do you know of anyone already with FIV positive cats or someone that would like an indoor cat? I guess he could potentially live a normal life in a rural area too? He is a large (6.6kgs!) all black boy and between 5 and 8 years old.

I am trying a variety of rescues in Essex with the hope someone, somewhere will rehome this beautiful and affectionate boy.

Many thanks & regards,

Vanessa
Cat-FAQ
Cat Chat Adviser

Re: FIV+ Boy in Essex needs a home.

Post by Cat-FAQ »

Here is a list of rescues in Essex, there may be some you’ve not tried:

http://www.catchat.org/index.php/cat-re ... tres-essex

Please first check that they have a non-destruction policy for FIV positive cats.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: FIV+ Boy in Essex needs a home.

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi Vanessa,

First of all thanks for taking in this little fella. I hope you can find him a home. But I would like to say that my Bob is FIV+ and the girls are all negative. I have no worries about this, even when Gracie pushes him too far and he chases her around the house. As long as he doesn't bite her - and he's not a biter, everything is fine.

If this little guy is ok with your cats in the garden he would more than likely be fine with them in the house. The virus has a very short life outside it's 'host'. Just a thought.

Good luck with him. Let us know how you go on.