Abandonded cat needs a home

Queries and discussions about cat rescue & rehoming
DMann
New Cat Chatter

Abandonded cat needs a home

Post by DMann »

Hello,

I have recently run into an issue and I really don’t know what the right thing to do is. I am hoping that someone may be able to provide advice.

I have two cats, both male. One is ten and the other 8 and I have had them both since they were kittens. They get along fine. I would call it a sibling type relationship as they have their quarrels, but I often come home to them snuggling together. They tend to be less affectionate towards each other when I am there. The younger of the two is very proactive in getting affection and is also very easily satisfied in this regard. If I sit down for a second he is on my lap rubbing, kneading, and getting pets. If for whatever reason I am occupied and can’t pay attention he’s fine with it and moves on. The older is the opposite in all respects. He seems to feel that he never gets enough affection and always wants more, but most of the time I have to go to him (which I do often), but if the slightest thing isn’t done right he will run away, but also act very hurt that he didn’t get the affection. He’s a bit of a drama queen.

Recently a very sweet kitty has been abandoned in the alley way behind my office. He is extremely affectionate and one of the other business owners took him to the vet confirming that he has been fixed, is up to date on shots, and has a clean bill of health. I believe he is around 3-5 years old based on size and behavior. There are three businesses linked to the alley and we have all be trying very hard to find him a new home, but so far no takers. It has been about a month. He seems to be doing very well where he is. There is an empty house with an open basement window where he has set up residence and everyone is feeding and petting him regularly. He seems to be settling into outside life well enough, but you can tell that he misses having a home and wants another one.

I don’t think that taking him to a no kill shelter is the right thing as he really seems to be doing well where he is and I don’t know that a shelter environment would actually be better. Though I have not been in the market for another cat, the thought that this poor sweet baby out there needs a forever home is killing me. The problem is that I am very worried about how my oldest cat will take it. He already feels that he doesn’t get enough affection and I am concerned that he will become very depressed and feel abandoned in his own right if I bring a third cat into the house.

I am the type of person that once I bring him home there is no backing out, so bringing him home just to see how it goes isn’t really an option. So, what I am trying to decide is if the right thing to do is to bring him home and hope for the best, but potentially cause stress and anxiety for my older cat that may alter him permanently, or to leave the kitty where he is as he really is doing well until a forever home can be found (but I am concerned that may never happen).

Sorry for the lengthy explanation, but I wanted to make sure the situation was clear. Any advice is appreciated!
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Abandonded cat needs a home

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome.

It’s great that you’re caring for this cat. If you think it’s possible he has a home, but strayed too far and got lost, then it would advisable to try and trace the owners first of all as someone may be missing him. You don’t say where you are from but this link has some tips which may be helpful anyway:

http://www.catchat.org/index.php/cat-mi ... ound#found

If you do decide to take the cat on yourself, then this information may be helpful:

http://www.catchat.org/index.php/new-cat-introductions

If not, then it would be wise to try and get a home for the cat. As you say, he is friendly so it’s likely that he has had a home, and was used to home comforts, and he should settle in another home well. Even if he is ok at the moment, the house may not always be there and then what?
It would probably be best to contact all the rescues in your area until you find one who can help. If the rescues are full, ask if they will put him on a waiting list, whilst he’s being cared for where he is, that way he’s not in a rescue until he finds his forever home. If you’re not living in the UK the information below may still be helpful:

http://www.catchat.org/index.php/rehome-pet-cat
http://www.catchat.org/index.php/direct-rehoming-cat

Best of luck!